• As part of the joint work on enhancing the resilience and adaptive capacities of small-holder farmers through the use of climate services. WFP and the Department of Agriculture Odisha organized a half-day virtual learning and knowledge sharing seminar on 19 January. Officials from the state government, the Agriculture University, India Meteorological Department, NITI Aayog, and WFP India and Kyrgyzstan participated, learning from the practical experiences from Bangladesh and Malawi where the participatory climate services approaches have been implemented.
Ensuring Access to Food
• As part of WFP’s on-going support to the Government of Rajasthan to improve the efficiency of the Targeted Public Distribution System (TPDS), WFP completed the analysis of the state’s 2019-2020 TPDS data which provided insights on various aspects of the TPDS operations including beneficiary data, supply chain operations and grain distributions. A report was submitted to the state which will enable them to take informed decisions to improve the system.
• In late December 2021, WFP installed an Annapurti (automated grain dispensing machine) at a Fair Price Shop in Odisha and during the month of January 2022, 2.2 MT of rice and wheat were disbursed from the machine to TPDS beneficiaries.
• On January 3, 2022, WFP signed an agreement with the Akshaya Patra Foundation (TAPF) to enhance the effectiveness of the Pradhan Mantri Poshan Shakti Nirman (PM POSHAN) scheme (the government school meals programme) for a longerterm partnership aiming to strengthen the programme in areas of food safety, hygiene and nutritional quality of the meals.
• The Department of Education, Rajasthan and WFP have signed an agreement to introduce a series of interventions to enhance the nutritional effectiveness of the PM-POSHAN programmes in Jaipur District. As part of this intervention, WFP will be implementing the demonstration projects on staple food fortification, capacity strengthening of school cooks and social behaviour change communication for school children and teachers, while providing technical assistance towards establishing nutri-gardens in schools.