Situation Updates on Floods in Assam as on 8th September
Situation of Floods in Assam: (Information received from IAG Assam)
Over the last two weeks the flood situation in Assam has deteriorated.
The flood waters have receded in some districts whereas in some the water levels have gone high.
With respect to the updates received from our partners in the respective affected districts, from local news channels, for local news papers and from government sources particularly from Assam State Disaster Management Authority, the total population affected by Assam Floods has reached above 17 lakhs.
- 20 districts have been affected
- Worst Affected Districts include: Dhemaji, Lakhimpur, Dibrugarh, Tinsukia, Darrang, Dhubri, Barpeta, Morigaon, Goalpara
- Total population affected due to flood: 17 lakhs and above (Due to receding water levels, the population affected has also reduced to below 15 lakhs)
- Water levels have began to recede in most of the places.
- Affected population who were taking shelter in the relief camps have began to return to their villages in some of the districts.
- Siltation of cultivable areas/paddy fields/Crop lands
- Damages to Tube wells
- Fooder/ food stock destroyed
- Food & dry ration
- Drinking water,
- Fodder support
- Shelter Support (CGI Sheets, Tarpuline, Bamboo)
- WASH intervention
- Seed Support
Relief Distributed by Government:
Rice, Dal, Salt, Mustard Oil, candle, Chira, Gur, Tarpaulin, Wheat Barn, Lactogen ( Relief materials distributed in some select districts and not across all affected districts)
Intervention by NGOS:
- OXFAM-ADRA, Kokrajhar and Dhemaji
- IGSSS in Kokrajhar and Bongaigaon
- CARITAS INDIA in Dibrugarh, Bongaigaon
- Doctors For You in Dhubri and Kokrajhar
- TDH in Kamrup and Darrang
- CRS in Bongaigaon
Human Deaths Since June 2015: 62 (The Assam Tribune, 8th September 2015)
Please find the detail flood report from ASDMA for the last two days attached below: We will be coming out with the Joint Assessment Report on the Assam Floods by 10th September 2015.