Deep Depression - South West Monsoon
Since the onset of South -West Monsoon during early weeks of June, a deep depression had developed over Bay of Bengal on 21st June (thursday) as reported by IMD. The deep depression overcast areas located west-northwest of Telangana region, coastal Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, coastal and interior Karnataka, whole of Kerala, Goa (Konkan), Lakshadweep and Madhya Maharashtra. Heavy rainfall of >25 cm was experienced in southern states of Andhra Pradesh and Kerala causing flash floods disrupting road, electricity and communication networks.
Affected States (Districts) due to heavy rainfall
- Districts of Andhra Pradesh: Prakasam, Cuddapah, Kurnool, Mahbubnagar, Visakhapattinam, Srikakulam, Ananthapur, Cuddapah, Kakinanda, Nalgonda.
- Districts of Kerala: Idukki, Kozhikode, Pathanamthitta, Malapuram, Palakkad, Kottayam, Thrissur Ernakulam, Alapuzha,
- Districts of Karnataka: Dakshina Kannada, Shimoga, Chickmagalur, Kodagu, Udupi, Hassan, Uttara Kannada, Raichur, Kodagu, Bagalkote, Mangalore, Mysore, & Koppal.
- District of Tamil Nadu: Dindigul, Erode, Kanchipuram, Karur, Krishnagiri, Madurai, Nagapattinam, Namakkal, Nilgiris, Perambalur, Pudukottai, Ramanathapuram, Sivaganga, Thanjavur, Theni, Tiruvallur, Tiruvannamalai, Tiruvarur, Tiruchirapalli, Vellore, Virudhunagar districts and Puducherry (UT).
- Districts of Maharashtra: Ratnagiri, Raigarh, Thane, Sangli, Nasik, Kolhapur, Pune (City), Satara, Mumbai City & sub-urban areas.
Current forecast on the Monsoon states that yesterday's deep depression has weakened over Marathawada region i.e. part of Madhya Maharashtra. Today (24th June) the system lay centered about 50 km northeast of Pune. The dense cloud cover will move in a northwesterly direction along the south-west Arabian Sea. At the same time heavy rainfall will persist over Madhya Maharashtra, Konkan & Goa including Mumbai, coastal and interior Karnataka, Kerala and Lakshadweep during next 48 hours.
Wave height along south central and west coastal areas of Goa (Konkan), south Maharashtra and coastal Karnataka would be of 1.5 to 2 meters. The visibility will be moderate along with strong south -westerly gusty winds along the coast.