Ref: OCHA/GVA - 2003/0049
OCHA Situation Report No. 1
India - Cyclonic storm
occurred on 22 April 2003
This report is based on information provided by the UNDP Office in India as well as media reports. This message is not an official cyclone warning or alert for any country.
1. A severe cyclonic storm with a wind speed of more than 100 km/h occurred at 6.30 p.m. on 22 April 2003 in Assam's Dhubri district bordering Bangladesh. The storm lasted approximately 30 minutes. Eight villages in the Manchachar Haalsinghmari Sub-division in Dhubri district have been affected by the storm, namely Chirakhawa, Chirakhawa Topopara, Peepulbari part 1 and 2, Bhurakata, Baliabeel, Bengerbhita, and Baushkata.
2. According to the UNDP Office in New Delhi, 28 persons have been killed, 150 people seriously injured and 1,500 have minor injuries. Numerous people are still missing.
3. The exact loss of livestock is being assessed by the district administration. The storm brought down hundreds of mud and thatch houses, uprooted thousands of trees and electricity poles, damaged roads and swept tin roofs from many government buildings.
II. NATIONAL RESPONSE
4. The Deputy Commissioner of Dhubri along with a team of doctors has already left for the site with medicines and some food items. Rescue and relief operations are being carried out by the district administration, the police and local NGOs. The personnel of the Border Security Force are helping in the rescue efforts. Relief camps have temporarily been set up by the district administration. At Dispur, the Secretary Revenue Department is monitoring the situation.
III. INTERNATIONAL RESPONSE
5. The government of India has not requested international assistance.
6. OCHA is in close contact with the Office of the UN Resident Coordinator in India and will revert with further information, as it becomes available.
7. This situation report, together with further information on ongoing emergencies, is also available on the OCHA Internet Website at http://www.reliefweb.int
Telephone: +41-22-917 12 34
Fax: +41-22-917 00 23
In case of emergency only: Tel. +41-22-917 20 10
Mr. R. Muller/ Ms. C. Peguet
Direct Tel. +41-22-917 31 31
(GVA) - Ms. Elizabeth Byrs, direct Tel. +41-22-917 26 53
(N.Y.) - Ms. Stephanie Bunker, direct Tel. +1-212-963 87 40
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.