Incessant rains in the past few days have inundated low-lying areas and affected Karimganj,Tinsukia, Lakhimpur, Dihrugarh, Dhemaji Majuli of Jorhat and Morigaon & Kokrajhar districts. This is the first wave of flood in the current year and with less rainfall compared to previous years the situation remains to be under control.There has not been much damage to public properties, but railway communication network has remained suspended due to submergence of water.
Status of the rivers: as per the flood bulletin of the Central Water Commission- Brahmaputa division, river Brahmaputra is flowing above the Danger Level (D/L) at Dibrugarh, Nematighat, Jorhat, while at recording stations Tezpur & Sonitpur , Goalapara and Dhubri the water level is at warning level. Rivers Dhansiri at Numaligarh, Golaghta & Beki at Barpeta is rising steadily currently Pagladia at Nalbari, Sonkosh at Dhubri, Longai and Singla at Karimganj are maintaining a falling trend.
Arunachal Pradesh the affected district are Lohit, Yingkiong, Changlang, Seppa, Anini, Roing & Along districts. The river Lohit ( encircling Tezu Dist HQ ) a tributary of Brahmaputra at Dhola Ghat and seasonal tributaries Durra -nallah, tezu nallah, Sukha nallah (Tezu Dist HQ) connecting river Roing (at Lowe Dibang Valley) and Tinsukia (in Assam) has been rising , while river Nao- Dehing (at Mahadepur Circle) and Berrang, Kamalng, Tengapani river and Sibiri nallah encircling Chongkham Circle) are over flowing affecting Tezu , Mahadevpur, Chongkham and Wakro circles of Lohit, Anjaw and Lower Dibang Valley Districts
Rest of India
Himachal Pradesh due to heavy rains during the last 24 hours link roads at many places in affected districts have been blocked due to landslides. Extent of damage is being assessed. Water level in major rivers is flowing below danger level.
In Bihar the blocks of Muzaffarpur district and NH 37 (Muzaffarpur-Sitamarhi) has been closed. Darbhanga district 18 eigteen villages, seven Blocks of itamarhi and 5 blocks of Madhubani districts are affected. The level of water in Kosi, Ganga , Mahananda, rivers has been rising steadily.
DAMAGE DETAILS & CURRENT SITUATION:
- Lakhimpur: northern part of the district one person in Amtola village was reported to have been washed way
- Johart: road communication disrupted between Kamalabari & Garmur boats are still being used
- Erosion has been reported at Baghedhara village under Dakin Ahatguri goan Panchayat
- Dhubri: in the relief camp in South Salmara sub-division 50 families have taken sheltered
- Nature of Hazard: FLOODS DATE : 18.07.05
- Kokarjhar: stretches of the NH 31 (c ) near Patgoan have been submerged under water and submerged villages (Sishughutu, Joypur, Doctor Basti & Anthaibari) under Dotoma Revenue Circle affecting 187 families.
- Tinsukia: an area of 6000 sq mtrs along the side including peripheral bank area of Lohit valley road by the Kundil river has been eroded.
No. of Districts affected
No. of villages affected
Loss of lives
Total population affected
Total crop area affected
Total area affected
Inmates in Relief Camps
Due to rains floods and landslides have caused disruption to major road communication network in Lohit, Yingkiong, Changlang, Seppa, Anini, Roing & Along district
Road network disrupted
- Lohit-Tezu Dist HQ : Road cut off between Tezu to Hilang, Hawai and Walong at Salangam and Quibang, Tezu-chowkham road blocked at 27miles, Alubari Ghat and Barang Ghat.
- Tezu-Sunpura Dist HQ : blocked at Aanglat Digaru Ghat. Chowkham-Wakro blocked at east Tamat nallah.
- Upper Siang Dist HQ: Yingkiong Blocked at Mariang to Ranaghat, Disrupted Pasighat-Yingkiong & Likabali- Yingkiong.
- Lower Subansiri Dist HQ - Ziro : Ziro to Kimin
- Upper Subansiri Daporijo Dist HqQDaporijo to Ziro, Daporijo to Itanagar, Daporijo to Silapathar through.
- Tawang-Tawang Dist HQ Road communication through
- Kurung Kumey Koloriang Dist HQ Road through between Koloriang to Ziro.
- Tirap- Khonsa Dist HQ Road communication through
- Changlang-Changlang Dist HQ Road-block between Namchik to Manmao. Road through from Changlang DHQ to all Ps locations, Changlang to Margherita & Tinsukia
- West Kameng-Bomdila Dist HQ Road communication is through only for light Vehicles.
- Papumpare-Itanagar Dist HQ All road communication is through except between Itanagar to Holongi.
- East Kameng-Seppa Dist HQ Road is disrupted between Seppa to Nichipu (zero point) near Palazi, Seppa to Pakkesang between Lumdung & Pakkesang, Seppa to Bameng. Road communication blocked at Seppa to Chiangtajo between Pachi & Seppa.
- East Siang- Pasighat Disy HQ Road communication is blocked between Pasighat to Boleng. Road is through from Pasighat to Ruksin & for Mebo the road is through via Sigar.
- Upper Dibang valley Anini Dist HQ The Road is blocked between Anini to Roing due to the bridge being washed away over Deopani River. The roads between Roing to Hunli & between Hunli to Anini are blocked due to landslides.
- Lower Dibang Valley Roing Dist HQ Roing- Hunli road is disrupted at Nandanpass due to landslide/shooting of boulders. The road is broken between Kormu and Bhismaknagar. Paglam - Dambuk road is also disrupted.
- West Siang- Along Dist HQ Road communication is blocked between Along- Likhabali and Likhabali-Somajan.
- Lohit: The water level has steadily increased in all streams and rivers. Flood protection work has started at various weak locations in and around Tezu Township. RoaD communication is through boats as other part of the district it is totally cut off from Namsai to Wakro. Electricity and water supply has been disrupted. Drinking water is being supplied through tankers and tractors.
- Changlang: KSG and Namchik locality and roads are submerged
- East Siang: Villages at Pasighat Sadar, Bilat circles and Mebo sub-division & Ruksin circle are affected. The road communication between district headquarters and all circles Hqt. has been disrupted.
- Lower Dibang Valley: water level at Deopani/Ephipani Rivers has increased again. Road communication between Roing to Hunli remains cut off. Under Dambuk Paglam circle the water level at Sisiri, Dibang & Dottung Rivers has increased steadily, electricity supply continues to be disrupted. Reports of damages received from MIP Jessing Jia (Near Roing), the Banks of Simari River(10 km from Roing) & BRTF Bridge at Remi. Elephants are still being used at Sisiri, Deopani and Emi.
- Anjaw: is totally cut off from Lohit district. The power supplies is affected due to damages reported at local Hydel supply station.
- The government is monitoring the overall flood situation and coordinating with Army and authorities in the neighboring states.The State Government has issued guidelines to all district administration, senior officers and other line departments for taking relief operations, Search & Rescue activities wherever and whenever necessary in a smoother way. Rapid action teams of the Health Deptt. have been asked to remain alert for preventive and curative measures.
- The State & District Control Rooms are functioning round the clock. HF and VHF sets are being used in the control rooms for communication.
- Special arrangements are being made for the procurement of food grains, medicines, cattle fodder, water purifying tablets, ORS, boats and vehicles.
- Marooned people of the inundated areas were shifted to nearby school buildings. Relief materials, water purifying tablets and packets are also being distributed to the flood victims.
State Control Room, Assam: 91-361-2230982 / 2237010/ 2237011 / (Telephone) 2237010 (Fax)
Relief Commissioner's( Addl chief Secy) Office, Assam:
91-361- 2261667 (Telephone)
91- 361 - 2261789(residence)
Detail of Airport facilities available: There are six airports located at Guwahati, Dibrugarh, Tezpur, Jorhat, Silchar & Lilabari in the state.
SOURCE OF INFORMATION:
- NDMD MHA
- Revenue Deptt., Govt. of Assam, & Arunachal Pradesh
- District Project Officer, GoI-UNDP Disaster Risk Management Programme, Assam,& Arunachal
- Central Water Commission, Guwahati, Assam & Delhi
- Indian Meteorological Department
For Further Information
Emergency Analyst, UNDP
Mobile: 91 - 98104 - 02937 http://www.undp.org.in/dmweb