The Church's Auxiliary for Social Action (CASA) expresses its grief and anguish at the devastation caused by the tsunami disaster in large parts of coastal south India. CASA stands in solidarity with the people of the region as they come to terms with the situation, and also with all those aid workers who are engaged in rendering rescue and relief assistance in the disaster area.
CASA is the official arm of 24 Protestant and Orthodox Churches in India and has over 57 years experience in managing humanitarian aid. It has its operational areas in 22 states of India.
CASA has immediately responded to the tsunami disaster and has mobilized 12 relief teams with 60 staff drawn from all its offices in the country. CASA is setting up 5 operational units in Tamilnadu, Andhra Pradesh and Kerala from where the relief operations will be carried out in the following districts: Nagapattinam, Pondicherry, Cuddalore, Kanyakumari, Tuticorin and Tirunelveli (Tamilnadu); Kollam, Alapuzha, Ernakulam and Kannur (Kerala); Krishna, Nellore, East Godavari, West Godavari, Guntur and Prakasam (Andhra Pradesh). In the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, CASA is working through two of its constituent members.
CASA is assisting 50,000 families (30,000 in Tamilnadu, 10,000 in Kerala and 10,000 in Andhra Pradesh), regardless of religious, caste or political considerations. In the crisis phase, our aid package will include the following support valued at Rs.9.05 crores:
- provision of cooked food and drinking water to 30,000 families for 7 days through partner institutions and organisations
- provision of basic medical aid
- provision of dry rations to 50,000 families for 7 days (15 kgs rice, 2 kgs lentils,
- 1 litre edible oil, 1 kg salt, 100 gms turmeric power, 50 gms chillie powder)
- provision of plastic sheets to 50,000 families to set up temporary shelters
- provision of household articles to 50,000 families (woollen blanket, dhoti, saree, aluminium kitchen utensils, bedsheets, sleeping mats, cotton towel, candles, matchbox, soap, plastic water container)
- construction of 40 multipurpose Disaster Shelters in selected coastal villages of Tamilnadu, Andhra Pradesh and Kerala
- provision of building material to 10,000 families
- provision of inputs for creation of 360 fishermen co-operatives and desalination of 4900 acres of agricultural land.
For further details please contact:
Mr.Sushant Agrawal, Director, CASA
4th Floor, Rachna Building, 2 Rajendra Place, Pusa Road, New Delhi - 110 008
Ph: (91 - 11) 25730611/25730612/ 25731218/ 25731219/25761579/25767231
Fax: (91 - 11) 25752502/ 25733763 Email: email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org