Honduras Floods Situation Report No.2
1. The President of the Republic has announced the Declaration of Regional Emergency in the Northern Atlantic Coast, and met Thursday, 21 November 1996, with the United Nations Coordinator and PAHO/WHO Representative to discuss the assistance to be provided by the UN system.
2. The Government of Honduras has allocated HNL 70 million (USD 5,6 million) for emergency assistance to victims of the floods.
Effects on population
3. According to the UNDP/DHA Resident Representative the number of affected people has now increased to 55,000 and the number of deaths to seven. Consequences on the rural and urban production, health, employment, and roads are likely to have high negative impact on the country's economy, especially for the low income population
4. The United Nations Disaster Management Team (UN-DMT) met on Thursday morning with the Coordinator of the National Emergency Committee (Comisionado Nacional de Copeco).
UNDAC-Latin America mobilized
5. At the request of the Government and UNDP Office , DHA is mobilizing a United Nations Assessment and Coordination (UNDAC) team to support the assessment efforts underway.
6. Until this moment the Government has not launched an appeal for international assistance.
Telephone No: +41-22-917-12-34
In case of emergency only: +41-22-917.20.10
Desk Officers: Mr. Erik Haegglund,
direct tel: +41-22-917.32.99
or Mr. Carlos Pereira, direct tel: +41-22-917.13.83
Press to contact: Ms. M. Moulin-Acevedo,
direct tel: +41-22-917.28.56
Telex: 414242 dha ch
E.Mail: dhagva @ dha.unicc.org