The main health concerns are gastrointestinal diseases, acute respiratory infections and communicable diseases. Primary needs include portable latrines, drugs and health supplies, water purification kits and items for household hygiene.
The United Nations is launching a Flash Appeal for the response to the crisis. PAHO/WHO is appealing for US$ 1 240 937 to support the health sector in the areas of:
- Epidemiological surveillance and disease control
- Access and availability of drugs and health supplies
- Control and surveillance of water quality
- Coordination with health partners
- Mental health care at local level