More than 30,000 homes have so far been destroyed by flooding and landslides across the country.
Honduras is still in the middle of its hurricane season, so even more rains are expected, especially in western parts of the country such as Lempira, Santa Barbara and Copán - where Plan works.
Give to the appeal
Plan has already begun to respond to the impact of the disaster. Please support our vital work by making a donation to the Honduras appeal via Plan's fundraising organisations:
In Corquin, Plan has started working with the Municipal Emergency Committee and the Ministry of Education to help 161 children and their families by providing basic food supplies and also psychosocial support through play and educational activities.
In Lempira, Plan has started working with the Municipality of Lepaera, to support 104 people, including 37 children, living in open shelters.
As part of its wider response, Plan will concentrate on children and families living in emergency shelters that are not already covered by other agencies and then gradually extend its work to critical situations affecting people in other areas.
In all affected areas, Plan aims to provide practical child-focused assistance through:
- supplementary food rations for children under 5, pregnant and lactating mothers
- helping families to protect their children
- psychosocial activities to reduce the impact of the disaster on children
- continuing educational activities for children
- registering births for infants born during the emergency and reissuing lost documents to adults.