WFP Haiti Country Brief, June 2017
The Country Office held a retreat to review the school meals model and develop a roadmap for school year 2017-2018.
Cuban experts visited Haiti from 18 to 25 of June in the context of a south/south technical exchange of experience for disaster risk reduction closing the first phase of the Forecast based Financing project started in 2015.
Recovery interventions in Hurricane affected areas
A training has been organized by Digicel for WFP partners involved in the program, to help them better manage the transfer mechanisms of Mon Cash.
In line with a phased approach to implementing SCOPE which started with the hurricane relief response, in June, SCOPE was used to register participants of hurricane recovery FFA activities.
Baseline surveys for Food Assistance for Assets programmes started in Grande Anse and will continue in Nippes and Artibonite in July.
- WFP is distributing specialized nutritious food to approximately 25,377 pregnant and nursing women and 27,407 children in Grande Anse and Nippes. Kore Lavi / National Vulnerability Database - As we enter the final quarter of the 4th year of the program, documentation is being prepared for decision making. One decision point is the criteria for updating the list of households in the vulnerability database.
- As the school year drew to a close in June, WFP reflects on the fact that a total of 376,620 children per month have received a hot meal. This represents 93 percent of the targeted number of beneficiaries.
- Staff from the Regional Bureau conducted a review of the beneficiary feedback hotline which started in the midst of the hurricane response. Beneficiaries reported high appreciation of the hotline and WFP realized benefits by gaining time to address problems reported to the hotline. Share the meal - Share the meal campaign has been launched for Haiti to collect funds for 150,000 school meals for children in need.
Risk Analysis and Preparedness Measures
- In the context of a technical South-South cooperation and experience exchange on risk and disaster reduction initiated in 2015 between Cuba and Haiti, a technical exchange mission from Cuba was in Haiti from 18 to 25 of June. The main objective of this mission was to build capacity to support various studies for emergency preparedness. Focus of the studies was the assesment of vulnerability and risk of communes in Haiti to disasters due to flooding; and a response and action plan taking into account available resources. These activities aim to strengthen the national capacity of the risk and disaster management system.
- WFP provided orientation to the new PNCS (National School Meals Programme) coordination team on the National School Meals Policy as well as the various school meals modalities implemented by PNCS partners. Office equipment and 3 vehicles we