USD 1.6 m cash-based transfers made
USD 268 m Total Requirements
266,000 people assisted
• In August, 85,000 people received food assistance from WFP in the departments of Artibonite, Nord-Ouest, and Sud-Est.
• USD 1.4 million were distributed as cash envelopes (funded by ECHO and USAID) and mobile money transfers (funded by Canada).
• Tropical Storm Laura hit several departments of Haiti (Sud-Est, Ouest, Nippes), damaging crops.
• Schools reopened on August 17th . WFP delivered 945 tons of food commodities to 1,158 schools, reaching a total of 275,000 schoolchildren, and restarted its school feeding programme.
• Food-Assistance-for-Assets (FFA) interventions aimed at improving the local salt value chain in the municipality of Anse Rouge (Artibonite department) were successfully finalized. 960 participants received a total of approximately US$66,000 for completion of the last phase of works, which consisted in the modernisation and protection of salt basins.
• 1,500 participants took part in the first cycle of the second phase of FFA works in the municipalities of Torbeck, Les Coteaux and Saint Jean (South department). US$100,000 were distributed to participants for the final cycle of the first phase. FFA works in the South aim to enhance livelihoods related to fishing (creation of fishponds), livestock (distribution of cattle) and agriculture (through soil conservation).