Ref: OCHA/GVA - 99/0220
Hurricane Lenny - Caribbean Region
OCHA Situation Report No.1
15 November 1999
This message is not an official hurricane warning or alert for any country.
1. The National Hurricane Centre in Miami reports that Hurricane Lenny is likely to strengthen during the next 24 hours and to move mostly eastwardly.
2. A tropical storm warning and a hurricane watch is in effect for Jamaica. A hurricane watch is in effect for the south coast of Haiti.
3. At 15.00 GMT, the centre of Hurricane Lenny was located near latitude 15.0 North and longitude 76.2 West (roughly 205 miles/330 km south of Kingston, Jamaica).
4. Maximum sustained winds are near 100 mph/160 kmh with higher gusts.
5. This situation report, together with further information on ongoing emergencies is also available on the OCHA Internet Website at: http://www.reliefweb.int
Telephone number: + 41-22-917-1234
In case of emergency only: + 41 22 917 2010
Desk Officers: Mr. Erik Haegglund, direct tel: + 41-22-917-3299
Contact person for the media: Ms. Elena
Ponomareva, direct tel:+41-22-917-2336
Telex 41 42 42 ocha ch
Fax: + 41 22 917 0023
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.