Experience from Pakistan demonstrates the importance of the UN having a central role in relief work. In light of this the Norwegian Directorate for Civil Protection and Emergency Planning will establish a UN support camp in Haiti. Also, Norway will support UN efforts with Norwegian Refugee Council emergency personnel.
Norway is already a major donor to the UN Emergency Fund, the 2010 total contribution being NOK 325 million.
"Large parts of Haiti are now in ruins, and local relief efforts are insufficient. We will consider further contributions at the UN's request", says Minister of Environment and International Development Erik Solheim.
The NOK 40 million will be distributed as follows:
- NOK 7 million to a Norwegian Red Cross field hospital to be sent to Haiti today.
- NOK 10 million to Norwegian Church Aid efforts to secure drinking water, water treatment systems and tents.
- NOK 6.5 million to the Norwegian Directorate for Civil Protection and Emergency Planning.
- NOK 5 million to the Norwegian Refugee Council within the framework of an existing agreement.
- Around NOK 10 million via the UN Emergency Fund.
- Remaining means to be distributed as more concrete needs are reported.