USD 472,010 in cash transfers (January - August 2020)
USD 26.9 m six months net funding requirements
16,795 people assisted (cash transfers) January - August 2020
• In August, WFP assisted 4,315 persons with cash transfers for 60 day in Chiquimula and Huehuetenango. The selection criteria included households with children 6 to 59 months old with acute malnutrition.
• In coordination with the Ministry of Health and local authorities, WFP helped screen 5,755 children aged 0-23 month old and 7,600 children aged 24-59 month in San Marcos, Retalhuleu,
Chimaltenango and Sololá.
• In August, WFP and the Ministry of Education (MINEDUC) signed a cooperation agreement to strengthen the institutional framework of the national school feeding programme, improve the early childhood development community centres, and develop school protocols and guidelines for disaster and risk management.
• In coordination with Amazon, Inc., kitchen cookware and utensils to support 500 national schools were delivered in August, benefitting approximately 100,000 school children.
• At the request of MINEDUC and in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, WFP is developing a digital tool to monitor take-home food rations during the lockdown of schools. Currently, the tool is being tested. It will also be used for monitoring food purchases from smallholder farmers’ organizations.
• With UNAIDS funding, WFP and the Ministry of Health targeted 80 households with people living with AIDS who have been critically affected by COVID-19. Households received hygiene supplies in addition to counselling services, food and nutrition education, as well as critical medicines.
• In preparation of resilience building plans that are starting in October, WFP worked with smallholder farmer organizations to conduct a comprehensive survey to define next year's parametric microinsurance, savings and credit pilot initiative. Smallholder farmer participants received technical assistance and initial training for the implementation of the microfinance strategy. 54% 46% Contact info: Giovanna Maselli (Giovanna.firstname.lastname@example.org)
Country Director: Laura Melo Further information: www.wfp.org/countries/Guatemala WFP Guatemala Country Brief June 2020
• The second-generation CSP will be submitted to the Executive Board in November and is subject to pending agreements between the UN and the Government, as established under the United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework.