250 mt of food assistance distributed (in April)
USD 22,400 cash-based transfers made
USD 2,452,709 six months (May-October 2018) net funding requirements
115,917 people assisted in April 2018
• WFP supported the 3rd Commemoration of the Africa School Feeding day in The Gambia led by the Ministry of Basic and Secondary Education (MOBSE). School children benefitting from the school meals programme actively participated. Various national food processors and institutions demonstrated the use of local foods that are childfriendly and nutritious. Participants displayed a diverse collection of foods for the children to explore. The students performed a drama on the impact of using innovations like cash-based transfers in schools to improve diet diversity.
• On 24 April, WFP and UNICEF in partnership with National Nutrition Agency, Ministry of Health and Social Welfare, and Gambia Red Cross Society conducted a joint central level Training of Trainers on SAM/MAM screening. Fifteen participants were also registered using mobile technologies/systems (ONA).
• As part of ICSP implementation, the Gambia country office in partnership with the National Disaster Management Agency through a MoU has developed six community action plans in two regions. The action plans describe what the community wants to achieve as well as the activities and resources required to successfully complete the plan. The community action plan is a framework for implementing the activities that are decided by the identified communities. A total of 120 community members including women and girls participated in the development of the action plans.
• A project steering committee meeting chaired by the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Health and Social Welfare was conducted on30 April 2018. The meeting validated the report on the field visits conducted in project sites in four regions and progress report on the implementation of the different components implemented by WFP, UNICEF and FAO. The UN agencies also presented a revised logframe of the project as recommended by the ROME mission earlier this year.
• Super Cereal and Oil were distributed to pregnant and lactating women in four regions of the Gambia: Lower River Region, North Bank Region, Central River Region and Upper River region. Distribution was implemented by the Regional Health Directorate under the supervision of Ministry of Health and Social Welfare.
• A total of 152.98 mt white beans received in stock was procured from Women Farmers Association.