OCHA Situation Report No. 1
Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia - Floods
This situation report is based on information provided by the office of the UN Resident Coordinator in the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia.
1. In early August 2006, heavy rains caused floods and mudflows in the two poorest suburbs of Skopje, the capital of the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia. The floods mostly damaged two suburbs, Cento and Singelic, mainly built after the earthquake of 1963.
2. The affected areas were located northeast of the capital in the Municipality of GaziBaba, as well as in the rural community of Ingikovo. According to a first assessment undertaken by the municipal authorities, approximately 1,500 people (300 families) were affected and evacuated to their friends or relatives' houses in other districts.
3. Extensive damages to the houses were registered and most of the infrastructure in Cento and Singelic collapsed. Many houses were flooded and electricity was disrupted.
4. The families living in these areas had their own vegetable gardens to cover their basic food needs. The floods destroyed their crops. Therefore, this vulnerable population is in need of food supplies.
5. Because of accumulation of water and mud combined to high temperatures, a possible outbreak of diseases is one of authorities' major concerns.
6. So far no death has been reported.
7. National authorities including the Directorate for Protection and Rescue, the Municipal Public Company and the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia Red Cross, have jointly responded to the emergency.
8. According to these local relief institutions, the most urgent needs are for food supplies and non-food items: hygiene-kits, mattresses, blankets and kitchen-sets.
9. The national Government has requested international support to assist the people affected by this emergency.
10. OCHA is prepared to accept cash contributions to be used for immediate relief assistance, in support of the United Nations Resident Coordinator in the country.
11. OCHA remains in close contact with the Office of the United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator in Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia and will provide further information as it becomes available.
12. This situation report, together with additional information on other ongoing emergencies, is also available on http://www.reliefweb.int.
Tel. +41-22-917 1234
Fax: +41-22-917 0023
In case of emergency only: Tel. +41-22-917 2010
Ms. Isabel Garcia-Gill
Direct Tel. +41-22-917 1549
(GVA) Ms. Elizabeth Byrs, Direct Tel.
(N.Y.) Ms. Stephanie Bunker, Direct Tel. +1-917-892 1669
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.