This Situation Update is issued by the National Emergency Operation Centre and covers the period from 2400 hours to 0800hours, 22/02/2016.
- Shift handover at 2400hrs
- Curfew enforced until 0530 am on 22/02/2016 for all the travelling public
- Press interview Director National Disaster Management Office
- A total of 16 people confirmed dead
- 7 missing at sea in Yasawa I Rara confirmed to be safe back at the village
Gale Warning remains in force for Viwa Island. Strong wind warning remains inforce for the rest of Fiji waters. Damaging heavy swell warning remains inforce for low lying coastal areas of Fiji.
Severe Tropical Cyclone Winston Category 5 with average speed of about 65km/hr and momentary gusts to 90km/hr was located near 17.4South 174.1 East or about 300km West of Viwa or about 360km West of Nadi at 5pm today.
On this track TC Winston is expected to be located about 380km West of Viwa at 5am tomorrow.
- National and Divisional Emergency Operations Centre continued on full operational order.
- All response agencies are on stand-by at the NEOC and DivEOC which includes the Republic of the Fiji Military Force, National Fire Authority, Fiji Corrections Service and Fiji Navy.
- Fiji Volunteer First Respondent (FVFR) is on call at the NEOC attending to emergency medical and other rescue services.
- Critical Agencies have opened their respective EOC’s but maintain close coordination with NEOC through frequent Situation updates.