THE COMMISSION OF THE EUROPEAN COMMUNITIES, Having regard to the Treaty establishing the European Community, Having regard to Council Regulation (EC, Euratom) No.1257/96 of 20 June 1996 concerning humanitarian aid(1) , and in particular Article 2(a) and Article 13 thereof,
(1) On the 8 December 2008 high seas and king tides started hitting Papua New Guinea. A few days later, prolonged rainfall caused by tropical depression severely battered Fiji. Consequently, both countries have been affected by floods. On 29 and 30 January heavy floods affected the Solomon Islands.
(2) There have been serious disruptions of access to basic health services and to clean water, damage to the sewerage systems as well as displacement of people and losses of livelihoods and household possessions.
(3) To reach populations in need, emergency aid should be channelled through Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) or International Organisations including United Nations (UN) agencies. Therefore the European Commission should implement the budget by direct centralized management or by joint management.
(4) For the purposes of this Decision, the Pacific countries involved are Papua New Guinea, Fiji and the Solomon Islands.
(5) Humanitarian aid Actions financed by this Decision should be of a maximum duration of 6 months.
(6) It is estimated that an amount of EUR 700,000 from budget article 23 02 01 of the general budget of theuropean Communities is necessary to provide humanitarian assistance to over 50,000 people, taking into account the available budget, other donors' contributions and other factors. Therefore the activities covered by this Decision may be financed in full in accordance with Article 253 of the Implementing Rules of the Financial Regulation.
(7) The present Decision constitutes a financing Decision within the meaning of Article 75 of the Financial Regulation (EC, Euratom) No 1605/2002(2), Article 90 of the detailed rules for the implementation of the Financial Regulation determined by Regulation (EC, Euratom) No 2342/2002(3), and Article 15 of the Internal Rules on the Implementation of the general budget of the European Communities(4).
HAS DECIDED AS FOLLOWS:
1. In accordance with the objectives and general principles of humanitarian aid, the Commission hereby approves a total amount of EUR 700,000 for emergency humanitarian aid Actions to provide the necessary assistance and relief to the local population affected by floods in the Pacific by using budget article 23 02 01 of the 2009 general budget of the European Communities.
2. In accordance with Article 2(a) of Council Regulation No.1257/96, the humanitarian Actions under this Decision shall be implemented in the pursuance of the following specific objective:
- To provide multi-sector emergency relief and recovery assistance to victims of floods in Fiji and the Solomon Islands and to victims of tidal waves in Papua New Guinea
The full amount of this Decision is allocated to this specific objective.
1. The implementation of humanitarian aid Actions funded by this Decision shall have a maximum duration of 6 months from their starting date.
2. Expenditure under this Decision shall be eligible from 1 January 2009.
3. If the Actions envisaged in this Decision are suspended owing to force majeure or comparable circumstances, the period of suspension shall not be taken into account for the calculation of the duration of the humanitarian aid Actions.
1. The Commission shall implement the budget by direct centralised management or by joint management with international organisations.
2. Actions supported by this Decision will be implemented either by non-profit-making organisations which fulfil the eligibility and suitability criteria established in Article 7 of Council Regulation (EC) No. 1257/96 or International organisations.
3. Taking account of the specificities of humanitarian aid, the nature of the activities to be undertaken, the specific location constraints and the level of urgency, the activities covered by this Decision may be financed in full in accordance with Article 253 of the Implementing Rules of the Financial Regulation.
This Decision shall take effect on the date of its adoption.
Done at Brussels
For the Commission
Member of the Commission