What the three agencies advocate to stop hunger in Ethiopia
1. To Help Ethiopia Hold the Line Against Famine
- Passage of an additional $350 million in emergency food aid by the U.S. Senate.
- Expedited approvals and shipments of aid before it is too late. Early action is paramount.
2. To Help Ethiopians End the Cycle of Food Crises
- Enhanced investments by USAID, international donors, and non-governmental organizations in agricultural development, including irrigation and water harvesting, in order to build the foundation for food security.
- Increased development assistance, in cooperation with the Ethiopian government and other donors, to build infrastructure and basic social services - to move beyond subsistence agriculture.
While the focus of the delegation was on Ethiopia and its neighbor, Eritrea, the call for enhanced and sustained development assistance applies to sub-Saharan Africa in general, the group said.