THE COMMISSION OF THE EUROPEAN COMMUNITIES,
Having regard to the Treaty establishing the European Community;
Having regard to Council Regulation (EC, EURATOM) No.1257/96 of 20 June 1996 concerning humanitarian aid and, in particular, Article 2 and Article 15(2) thereof;
(1) Ethiopia is regularly affected by natural end/or man-made disasters which particularly affect the most vulnerable part of the population. Food production is extremely uncertain as it is determined by the amount and distribution of rainfall received. Regular droughts, floods, epidemics, periodic food shortages and internal conflicts in different parts of the country are the main causes of humanitarian needs.
(2) A multi-sector response, in order to provide humanitarian assistance in different sectors, including health, food assistance and water and sanitation, as well as refugees and Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) assistance, is therefore necessary to minimize the levels of suffering of the most vulnerable people.
(3) To reach populations in need, humanitarian aid should be channelled through Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) and International Organisations, including United Nations (UN) agencies. Therefore the European Commission should implement the budget by direct centralized management or by joint management.
(4) An assessment of the humanitarian situation leads to the conclusion that humanitarian aid Actions should be financed by the Community for a period of 15 months;
(5) It is estimated that an amount of EUR 6,000,000 from budget line 23 02 01 of the general budget of the European Communities is necessary to provide humanitarian assistance to over 600,000 persons, taking into account the available budget, other donors' contributions and other factors. Therefore, the activities covered by this Decision may be financed in full in accordance with Article 253 of the Implementing Rules of the Financial Regulation;
(6) The present Decision constitutes a financing Decision within the meaning of Article 75 of the Financial Regulation (EC, Euratom) No 1605/2002, Article 90 of the detailed rules for the implementation of the Financial Regulation determined by Regulation (EC, Euratom) No 2342/2002, and Article 15 of the internal rules on the implementation of the general budget of the European Communities.
(7) In accordance with Article 17 (3) of Regulation (EC) No.1257/96, the Humanitarian Aid Committee gave a favourable opinion on 26 March 2009.
HAS DECIDED AS FOLLOWS:
1. In accordance with the objectives and general principles of humanitarian aid, the Commission hereby approves a total amount of EUR 6,000,000 for a Humanitarian Aid Response to People Affected by Conflict, Climatic and Public Health Hazards in Ethiopia, by using line 23 02 01 of the 2009 general budget of the European Communities.
2. In accordance with article 2 of Council Regulation No.1257/96, the humanitarian Actions under this Decision shall be implemented in the pursuance of the following specific objective:
- To relieve human suffering caused by natural and/or man-made disasters through the provision of humanitarian assistance in the health, food assistance and water and sanitation sectors to the most vulnerable people of Ethiopia, including refugees and Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs).
An amount of EUR 6,000,000 is allocated to this specific objective.
1. The duration for the implementation of this Decision shall be for a maximum period of 15 months, starting on 1 April 2009.
2. Expenditure under this Decision shall be eligible from 1 April 2009.
3. If the Actions envisaged in this Decision are suspended owing to force majeure or comparable circumstances, the period of suspension shall not be taken into account for the calculation of the duration of the implementation of this Decision.
1. The Commission shall implement the budget by direct centralised management or by joint management with international organisations.
2. Actions supported by this Decision will be implemented either by:
- Non-profit-making organisations which fulfil the eligibility and suitability criteria established under Article 7 of Council Regulation (EC) No. 1257/96, or
- International organisations
3. Taking account of the specificities of humanitarian aid, the nature of the activities to be undertaken, the specific location constraints and the level of urgency, the activities covered by this Decision may be financed in full in accordance with Article 253 of the Implementing Rules of the Financial Regulation.