432.7 mt of food assistance distributed US$0.4 m cash-based transfers made
US$29.9 m six months (October 2018 – March 2019) net funding requirements
263,251 people assisted in September 2018
• To enhance access to education and combat child labour in Egypt, WFP supported 41,793 children attending community schools with school meals in September. Additionally, 133,364 family members received take-home entitlements. As of August, distribution has been taking place in only 5 governorates (Assuit, Luxor, Aswan, Minya, and Sohag).
• In collaboration with the Ministry of Education, WFP rehabilitated 30 community schools, bringing the total to 1,144 community schools since the project started.
• As part of its smallholder and Bedouin support programme, WFP trained 1,504 participants (517 women and 987 men) on various activities to help enhance their livelihoods and build community resilience to the effects of extreme weather shocks. These activities include physical asset creation, community empowerment, and provision of technical expertise, contributing to better agricultural practices and skills enhancement. As of September, the cumulative number of smallholder farmers and rural women supported is 38,026.
• Under the “First 1,000 Days of Life” project, WFP assisted 7,428 Egyptian beneficiaries with conditional cash-based transfers (CBTs).
• WFP supported 77,213 Syrian and Palestinian refugees from Syria, and 3,453 pregnant and nursing mothers through monthly CBTs in the form of food vouchers. WFP food voucher is valued at EGP 400, equivalent to USD 22.
• WFP conducted several orientation sessions for the targeted directorates with the objective to kick off the teachers’ training programme at the field level and to identify the profile of the participants that will attend the training in October. WFP also conducted training of trainers (ToT) for 15 security officers at the Ministry of Education (MoE) on emergency preparedness.