US$ 3,113,353 cash-based transfers made
131,993 people assisted
• Over 131,000 people benefited from WFP’s food vouchers in May. The majority were Venezuelans (90.8 percent), followed by Colombians (8.8 percent) and a few beneficiaries of other nationalities.
• Over 900 people, of which 44 percent from Venezuela, were assisted at shelters and canteens managed by partner organizations.
• The one-time food assistance at the border provinces, Sucumbíos, Carchi, and El Oro remains suspended due to the border closure.
• The migratory registration for Venezuelan citizens to legalize their residency status in Ecuador has been extended until 60 days after the termination of the national health emergency, which is until 13 August.
• In Tambillo and Sangolquí, WFP supported over 250 Ecuadorian returnees with two meals upon their arrivals, before heading for their self-quarantine at homes.
• The representative of WFP Ecuador, Mario Touchette, participated in the forum organized by the Vice Presidency of Ecuador, "Challenges and Actions for Sustainability" and expressed WFP’s willingness to support the strengthening of the country's social protection systems.
• WFP collaborated with the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock (MAG) for roadmap of the National Agricultural Strategy for Rural Women organized among MAG, FAO, UN Women, and the National Institute of Higher Studies (IAEN).
• In the provinces of Guayas and Loja, three rice-duck farming demonstration parcels have been implemented through a joint effort between the National Institute for Agricultural Research (INIAP), MAG and WFP, supported by the South-south and Technical Cooperation with China. This ancient Chinese technique aims to optimize resources by decreasing the use of fertilizers and pesticides, increasing the farmers’ income by lowering production costs.
• The Seasonal Livelihood Programming (SLP) carried out with the Afro-descendants and Awá communities during the past few months within the framework of the binational project, have resulted in new measures related to climate change, taking into account the different field contexts.