US$ 2,301,339 cash-based transfers made
87,563 people assisted
• 86,214 people benefited from WFP’s food vouchers in April.
The majority were Venezuelans (91.7 percent), followed by Colombians (7.9 percent) and a few beneficiaries of other nationalities.
• 1,349 people, of which 52.4 percent from Venezuela, were assisted at shelters and canteens managed by partner organizations.
• The one-time food assistance at the border provinces,
Sucumbíos, Carchi, and El Oro remains suspended due to the border closure.
• A UN to UN Contribution Agreement was signed between WFP and UNICEF to complement WFP’s food assistance with sanitation and hygienic items during the COVID-19 pandemic.
With this agreement, WFP's beneficiaries will receive an additional monthly value of USD 5 per person, up to USD 20 per household, to purchase necessary hygiene products at the supermarket chain for three months.
• WFP has arranged several webinars for WFP staff and associates in shelters and canteens regarding precautions in preparing meals during the COVID-19 outbreak and other themes such as nutrition, gender, and protection.
• A total of 213 Ecuadorian returnees received WFP's assistance during their quarantine in April. An additional 153 Ecuadorian returnees under quarantine will be supported through midMay.
• In April, WFP Ecuador signed new FLAs with four shelters and canteen in the provinces of Imbabura, Guayas, and two in El Oro. The new cooperating partner in Imbabura has begun its assistance in mid-April. The other three cooperating partners in Guayas and El Oro are planned to start in May.
• WFP provided hygiene kits to sheltersto contain the spread of novel COVID-19 among the beneficiaries.
• WFP donated 100 biosafety suits to the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock for smallholder farmers to ensure proper protection in handling food.
• WFP donated hygiene supplies to the Afro-descendant and Awá communities to prevent COVID-19 transmission within the most vulnerable populations in the northern region.
• WFP actively participated in different protection and gender working groups, supporting the development and dissemination of messages on GBV and protection.