T&T gives $5 million aid to storm-damaged Dominica

Report
from Government of Trinidad and Tobago
Published on 09 Oct 2015 View Original

October 09, 2015: The Government of Trinidad and Tobago has pledged TT $5 million in construction material to the Dominican relief effort.

This according to Communications Minister Maxie Cuffie at the post cabinet media briefing in Port of Spain on Thursday.

Cuffie said that after a discussion with the Prime Minister of Dominica Roosevelt Skerrit and Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley held last week, the decision to held Dominica was made.

Cuffie told the Express that the amount was approved last week Thursday and confirmed this week.

In late August Tropical Storm Erika devastated the island of Dominica causing the death of some 30 people and leaving more than 10,000 residents displaced.

Trinidad and Tobago sent cricket legend Brian Lara to Dominica as its special envoy to survey the damage.

Cuffie said that the construction materials were bought in Trinidad and transported to Dominica.

Asked if there will be any further aid to be given to the disaster stricken country, Cuffie said, “I don’t want to get into that but what I can tell you is that the two Prime Ministers held discussions”.

He said that the Skerrit expressed his gratitude to the Government for their assistance in the country’s time of need.