- In an effort to prepare for a potential movement of refugees from Goma, WFP Rwanda has pre-positioned enough food for 2,000 people at the Nkamira transit centre in Gisenyi, just across the border from Goma. UNICEF, UNHCR and UNFPA have also pre-positioned non-food items.
- WFP remains unable to move any food at all outside Goma given the intensity of the fighting. WFP hopes that this situation will change quickly and food dispatches can resume, particularly to those displaced in the past few days.
- WFP has several trucks loaded with food, ready to head into the areas where displaced people are sheltering north of Goma as soon as it is safe to do so.
- In its capacity as Logistics Cluster lead, WFP has loaned five Rubhalls (temporary warehousing) to UNHCR to be used as temporary shelter in Kibati, north of Goma, where the camp number has swollen to about 45,000.
- In both Masisi and Rutshuru, WFP was able to deliver 14-day food rations to newly displaced people through most of October, before the clashes intensified to the point where access became impossible.
- The key area of Nyanzale (a hilly region in Rutshuru district, west of the Virunga National Park) was not reached by WFP at the start of the month and remains a major concern, given the large number of displaced known to be gathered there.
WFP is the world's largest humanitarian agency and the UN's frontline agency for hunger solutions. This year, WFP plans to feed 90 million people in 80 countries.
WFP now provides RSS feeds to help journalists keep up with the latest press releases, videos and photos as they are published on WFP.org. For more details see: http://www.wfp.org/english/?n=999.
WFP now has a dedicated ISDN line in Italy for quality two-way interviews with WFP officials.
For more information please contact (email address: firstname.lastname@example.org):
Marcus Prior, WFP/Nairobi, Tel. +254-2076222336, Cell. +254-733528912
Gregory Barrow, WFP/Rome, Tel. +39-06-65132330, Cell. +39-3481325018, (ISDN line available)
Caroline Hurford, WFP/London, Tel. +44-20-72409001, Cell. +44-7968-008474
Jennifer Parmelee, WFP/Washington, Tel. +1-202-6530010 ext. 1149, Cell. +1-202-4223383
Bettina Luescher, WFP/New York, Tel. +1-212-9635196, Cell. +1-646-8241112, email@example.com