OCHA Situation Report No. 1
Democratic Republic of Congo - Tropical Storm in Yumbi
7 February 2003
1. A tropical storm has hit western Democratic Republic of Congo on 2 February at 23h local time. The storm more severely hit the village of Yumbi in Bandundu Province, 300 kilometers north-east of the capital, Kinshasa.
2. The national Crisis Committee held a meeting on 5 February to brief the humanitarian community. An assessment mission lead by the Minister of Health and facilitated by OCHA was deployed to Yumbi on 6 February. It was composed of representatives of UNICEF, WFP, FAO, MEMISA, OXFAM and the IFRC.
3. Reports indicates that 17 people have been killed, 2,500 have been injured, 1,700 houses have been destroyed and more than 20,000 people are homeless. These figures have been reported by MONUC representatives.
National and International Response
4. The Government of DRC has decided to dispatch a team of two surgeons and two nurses accompanied by 800 Kgs of first aid material.
5. Aid already considered by the UN humanitarian agencies for delivery shortly includes 23 tons of Emergency Kits by UNICEF, 33 tons of food by WFP and 40 tons of seeds and tools by FAO. UNDP is providing financial assistance to prepare the intervention.
6. OCHA is in close contact with the Office of the UN Resident Coordinator in the Democratic Republic of Congo and will revert with further information, as it becomes available.
7. This Situation Report and further information on ongoing emergencies are also available on the OCHA Internet Website at: http://www.reliefweb.int.
Telephone:+41-22-917 12 34
Fax: +41-22-917 00 23
In case of emergency only: Tel. +41-22-917 20 10
Mr. Jahal de Meritens
Direct Tel. +41-22-917-1934
(GVA) - Ms. Elizabeth Byrs, direct Tel. +41-22-917 26 53
(N.Y.) - Ms. Stephanie Bunker, direct Tel. +1-212-963 87 40
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.