DR Congo

Angola confirms intervention planned in Congo

Format
News and Press Release
Source
Posted
Originally published
The Angolan government confirmed on Wednesday that the Southern African Development Community would offer military support to President Laurent Kabila of the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
"We have taken a collective decision that all kind of help should be given to President Kabila, including military support," Deputy Foreign Minister Jorge Chicote told Reuters.

Chicote said no details of the intervention had been worked out, but that the move had been approved by defence ministers of the 14-nation SADC during talks in Harare this week.

"There is a war going on here and it has got to stop. The SADC defence ministers have decided to intervene and this has got to be done.

"I don't know what will be the Angolan participation. Angola is part of the region, part of this agreement. Angola will find the means to participate in this effort," he said.

President Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe announced the plan on Tuesday, but South Africa's President Nelson Mandela, who is chairman of SADC, told reporters in Pretoria on Wednesday there would be no military intervention.

Reuters - Thomson Reuters Foundation
For more humanitarian news and analysis, please visit https://www.trust.org/alertnet