USD 5.6 m total requirements
284.00 mt of food assistance distributed
330,500 people assisted (May 2020)
• WFP donated 4.2 MT of Super Cereal (CSB) to support the social programmes of the Office of the Historian of Havana City, benefiting around 800 people, including elderly and pregnant women.
• Three tents, two lighting towers and five mobile offices arrived at Santiago de Cuba port, as part of the IR-preparedness project for strengthening WFP and its partners’ preparedness capacities. The tents will be donated to health authorities to support the Covid-19 response. On the other hand, the two lighting towers and the five mobile offices will be prepositioned in government warehouses to be used in case of disasters.
• WFP continues to foster the implementation of the Pro-Act project in the Villa Clara province remotely, despite the Covid19 pandemic. The project is funded by the European Union and jointly implemented with FAO. In June, the purchase process for the first tranche of equipment was completed with Estimate Time Arrive (ETA) in October 2020. On the other hand, the project's training plan was adjusted by including remote training actions considering the Covid-19 pandemic and the country's economic situation. WFP continues to work on designing and printing the selected training materials.
• WFP distributed micronutrient powder (MNP) to children aged 6-11 months and Super Cereal (CSB) to children aged 12-23 months and pregnant and lactating women in selected municipalities of Santiago de Cuba, and Guantanamo provinces with high anaemia prevalence rates.
• WFP distributed Super Cereal to elderly people and vulnerable population through the community canteens in 22 selected municipalities from the five eastern provinces. The government authorities have highly appreciated this support considering the crucial role these institutions play in assisting vulnerable population during the Covid-19 pandemic.