Ref: OCHA/GVA - 2003/0035
1. In an effort to assist more than 2 million persons displaced by the on-going armed conflict in Colombia, on 18 February 2003, the United Nations presented donors with a Humanitarian Action Plan (HAP) with a total budget of USD 79,4 million for one year. Of this amount, USD 48,9 million is still to be raised.
2. The meeting was opened and chaired by the Director General, United Nations Office at Geneva, Mr. Sergei Ordzhonikidze, on behalf of the Under Secretary General for Humanitarian Affairs, Mr. Kenzo Oshima. Statements were made by the High Commissioner for Refugees, Mr. Ruud Lubbers, the Special Adviser to the Secretary General on Colombia, Mr. James Lemoyne, the UNHCR Representative in Colombia, Mr. Francisco Galindo, and His Excellency, Ambassador Camilo Reyes, Permanent Representative of Colombia to the United Nations Office at Geneva.
3. During year 2002 alone, more than 250.000 persons were forced to flee from their homes by the armed conflict, whose intensity has escalated during the past months. The general objective of the HAP is to contribute towards ensuring respect for and access to enjoyment of human rights by the population affected by the humanitarian crisis, as well as strengthening the state institutions, the Rule of Law, and the application of the guiding principles for internally displaced persons.
4. The HAP is a joint effort undertaken in the field by the United Nations in country Thematic Group on Internal Displacement under the leadership of UNHCR and OCHA, in coordination with Headquarters level. The appealing agencies are: FAO, UNAIDS, UNDP, UNIDO, UNFPA, UNHCR, UNODC, UNICEF, UNIFEM, WFP, WHO/PAHO, IOM and OCHA.
5. The Humanitarian Action Plan, its budget and presentation made during the meeting by the UNHCR representative for Colombia are available on the OCHA Internet Website at http://www.reliefweb.int
For coordination purposes, donors are requested to inform OCHA Geneva, as indicated below, on pledges/contributions and their corresponding values by item.
Telephone: +41-22-917 12 34
Fax: +41-22-917 00 23
In case of emergency only: Tel. +41-22-917 20 10
Mr. Erik Haegglund, Ms. Masayo Kondo, Mr. Ricardo Mena
Direct Tel. +41-22-917 3299 / 1997 / 1455
(GVA) Ms. Elizabeth Byrs, direct Tel. +41-22-917 26 53
(N.Y.) Mr. Brian Grogan, direct Tel. +1-212-963 11 43
(in pdf* format - 1,90 MB)
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.