Typhoon Imbudo death toll rises to 20 in south China

Report
from Deutsche Presse Agentur
Published on 26 Jul 2003
Beijing (dpa) - The death toll has risen to at least 20 after Typhoon Imbudo swept through southern China and destroyed thousands of homes this week, state media said on Saturday.

At least 12 people died in the Guangxi region, following at least eight deaths on Thursday and Friday in neighbouring Guangdong province, the official Xinhua news agency said.

The seventh typhoon to hit southern China this year affected some 7.4 million people, the agency said.

The cost of the damage caused by the typhoon is estimated to be about 1 billion yuan (120 million dollars) in Guangdong, where at least three people were also missing at sea, it said.

Some 3,170 houses collapsed and 50,000 hectares of crops were ruined by the typhoon in Guangxi's Yulin area, the agency said.

Water in 45 Guangxi reservoirs passed warning levels as the typhoon brought heavy rainstorms to the region.

Many coastal areas in western Guangdong suffered flooding, and scores of houses were damaged or destroyed.

Typhoon Imbudo also killed at least 22 people in the Philippines before it swept across Hong Kong and southern China.

Rainstorms have caused floods and landslides that have killed more than 600 people in China so far this summer.

dpa bs cu AP-NY-07-26-03 0310EDT

Copyright (c) 2003 dpa Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH
Received by NewsEdge Insight: 07/26/2003 03:10:24

Deutsche Presse Agentur:
Copyright (c) dpa Deutsche Presse-Agentur GmbH