Post-quake reconstruction in Sichuan to finish by Sept.: vice governor
CHENGDU, April 18 (Xinhua) -- All reconstruction projects in southwest China' s Sichuan Province, which was hard hit by a devastating earthquake in 2008, will be fully completed by September this year, Vice Governor Wei Hong said on Monday.
"As of now, a total of 27,564 post-quake reconstruction projects, out of the planned 29,692 projects, have been completed," Wei said, adding that 787.1 billion yuan (about 120 billion U.S. dollars), or 91 percent of the total budget of 865.8 billion yuan, has been spent.
Wei said 85 percent of the post-disaster reconstruction projects had been finished as of the end of September 2010, realizing the country' s plan to finish post-quake reconstruction in three years.
On May 12, 2008 a magnitude-8.0 earthquake struck Wenchuan in Sichuan Province, leaving more than 80,000 people dead or missing.