Serious Floods in parts of Jiangxi, Zhejiang, Guangdong, Guangxi and Fujian Provinces
(report from the Ministry of Civil Affairs through the UNDP/DHA Resident Representative)
1. Since July 1997, parts of the Eastern and the Middle of Southern China have been affected by heavy rain, leading to serious flooding in many cities and counties. Total direct economic loss estimated at RMB yuan 18 billion (USD 2.2 billion)
2. According to initial statistics from the Provinces of Jiangxi, Zhejiang, Guangdong, Guangxi and Fujian, there are in total more than 35 million people affected; 148 dead and about 20,000 persons injured; 2,085,000 persons isolated by the flood water and 1,253,000 persons evacuated. 508,000 housing units collapsed and 1,222,000 damaged.
3. 216,000 heads of draught animals killed and 1,211,000 ha. of crops affected, of which 342,000 ha. lost.
4. The Ministry of Civil Affairs and local departments are carrying out damage assessment and providing relief assistance.
5. No request for international assistance has been received by DHA.
Telephone No. +41-22-917.12.34
In case of emergency only: Tel. + 41-.22-917.20.10
Desk Officer: Mr. E. Haegglund, Tel. + 41-22-917.32.99
Contact for media: Ms. M. Moulin-Acevedo, Tel. + 41-22-917.28.56
Telex: 414242 DHA CH
Fax: + 41-22-917.00.23
DEPARTMENT OF HUMANITARIAN AFFAIRS