Ref: OCHA/GVA - 2005/0105
OCHA Situation Report No. 3
China - Sichuan Province Floods
1. According to information released by the Ministry of Civil Affairs on 13 July 2005, heavy rains since 6 July have resulted in severe floods, landslides and mud-rock flows in Dazhou, Bazhong, Guangan, Nanchong, Yibin, Luzhou and Ganzi of Sichuan Province. As of 13 July, 49 people had lost their lives, 9 people were missing, 428 thousand people had been evacuated for resettlement and 11.23 million people were affected in 21 counties. Six county towns are flooded including Dazhou city, which is the worst affected.
2. According to the "National Emergency Response Plan for Natural Disasters", the Ministry of Civil Affairs enacted Level 4 of the plan on 8 July and it was upgraded to Level 3 by the Ministry on 10 July. Assigned by the State Council, Mr. Jia Zhibang, the Vice Minister of Civil Affairs led the working team consisting of staff from the Ministry of Finance, the Ministry of Land and Natural Resources, the Ministry of Communications and the Ministry of Water Resources to the affected areas in Sichuan Province to console the victims and to assist and guide the relief work.
3. On 10 July, the Ministry of Civil Affairs and the Ministry of Finance allocated CNY 23 million (approximately USD 2.78 million) relief fund to Sichuan. The Ministry of Civil Affairs also shipped 3,000 units of tents to the affected areas to assist the victims for evacuation and temporary settlements.
4. The Government has not requested international assistance up to this date.
5. OCHA is in close contact with the UN Resident Coordinator's Office in Beijing and will revert with further information as it becomes available. This situation report, together with further information on ongoing emergencies, is also available on the OCHA Internet Website at http://www.reliefweb.int.
Tel.: +41-22-917 12 34
Fax: +41-22-917 00 23
In case of emergency only: Tel. +41-22-917 20 10
Mr. Masaaki Nakagawa, direct Tel. +41-22-917 4034
(GVA) Ms. M. Moulin-Acevedo, Direct Tel. +41-22-917 3160
(N.Y.) Ms. Stephanie Bunker, Direct Tel. +1-917 367 5126
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.