China

China floods kill 29 with more rain to come

Format
News and Press Release
Source
Posted
Originally published
BEIJING, Oct 8 (Reuters) - Floods in northern China triggered by weeks of heavy rain have killed 29 people and destroyed tens of thousands of homes with no let-up in sight, a local official said on Wednesday.

"More than 160 people have been injured following rains lasting more than a month,'' said Xie Yimin, an official from the civil affairs bureau in Yuncheng, Shanxi province.

"More rain is forecast for Thursday and Friday, so things will get worse,'' he said by telephone.

The floods, coinciding with deluges elsewhere in China, had inundated some 40,000 hectares (98,800 acres) of crops, said the semi-official China News service (www.chinanews.com.cn).

More than 30,000 largely mud-brick homes or cave dwellings had collapsed in 13 counties within Yuncheng, the official said.

More than 10,000 people had been evacuated from flooded areas in Dongming county in the eastern province of Shandong, according to a separate China News service report.

Floods in China made world headlines in September, when the worst downfalls in 40 years in the normally drought-stricken northwestern province of Shaanxi killed dozens of people and forced half a million people to flee their homes.

Reuters - Thomson Reuters Foundation
For more humanitarian news and analysis, please visit https://www.trust.org/alertnet