Operations Update no. 1; Period covered: 30 July to 14 August, 2007; Appeal target: CHF 9,462,000 (USD 7,692,683 or EUR 5,710,320); Appeal coverage1: 6 %; Outstanding needs: CHF 8,852,100 (USD 7,292,300 or EUR 5,404,000)
- Launched on 30 July 2007 for CHF 9,462,000 (USD 7,692,683 or EUR 5,710,320) for 12 months to assist 400,000 beneficiaries.
- Disaster Relief Emergency Funds (DREF) allocated: 16 July 2007, for CHF 240,000 (USD 199,465 or EUR 146,468).
Unusual weather has caused torrential rains, sweltering heat and drought throughout many regions of China. Flooding in the month of July accounts for more than half of the destruction and deaths brought about by natural disasters in China thus far in 2007. More than 120 million people are affected by floods alone this summer and five million have been left homeless, with more than 1000 reported dead or missing. Through the support from the Federation's mobilization of DREF and immediate donations from some Red Cross partners, the Red Cross Society of China (RCSC) has been responding rapidly by delivering rice, clothing and blankets, and water purification tablets to affected areas. Joint field visits and assessments led by the Federation and RCSC headquarters has enabled a clearer understanding of the situation and a joint operational planning session on 10 August with all five provincial Red Cross branches (Anhui, Henan, Hubei, Sichuan and Chongqing) present, has ensured quality standards will be set forth as procurement and implementation of the objectives moves forward in the coming days and weeks ahead. While some funding has been pledged, more is urgently needed to provide support to local communities, especially in emergency rehabilitation of homes, risk reduction and mitigation.
For further information specifically related to this operation please contact:
- Red Cross Society of China: Mr. Wang Xiaohua, director of external relations department; email: firstname.lastname@example.org; phone: +86.10.6404.8366, fax +86.10.6402.9928.
- East Asia Regional Representation Office in China: Ms. Ewa Eriksson, (acting regional representative), email; Ewa.Eriksson@ifrc.org; Mr. Qinghui Gu (regional disaster management coordinator), email; email@example.com; phone +86 1391 0959 834, fax+86-10-6532-7166.
- Asia Pacific Zone in Kuala Lumpur: Ms Amy Gaver, phone: + 60 3 2161 0892, fax: +60 3 2161 1210, mobile +60 12 220 1174, email: firstname.lastname@example.org