Operations Update no. 2; Period covered: 14 August to 07 September, 2007; Appeal target: CHF 9,462,000 (USD 7,692,683 or EUR 5,710,320); Appeal coverage*: 19%1 Outstanding needs: CHF 7,661,595 (USD 6,448,503or EUR 4,683,356)
- Launched on 30 July 2007 for CHF 9,462,000 (USD 7,692,683 or EUR 5,710,320) for 12 months to assist 400,000 beneficiaries.
- Disaster Relief Emergency Funds (DREF) allocated: 16 July 2007 for CHF 240,000 (USD 199,465 or EUR 146,468).
Devastating floods have swept through more than 24 provinces in China since May. To date, hundreds of thousands are still living in temporary shelters and without immediate prospects for returning their lives to normal.
The Red Cross Society of China and the government of China have provided relief items, including food, shelter and blankets, but the rebuilding of homes is by far the priority of both the local governments and the local people. With the support of appeal funding, the Red Cross Society of China (RCSC), plans to continue the distribution of rice and quilts to affected populations in the five provinces of Anhui, Henan, Hubei, Sichuan and Chongqing. The RCSC will also provide support to more than an estimated 8,000 people (2,000 families) in the reconstruction of their destroyed homes.
Furthermore, the national society places great importance on building the capacities of these communities in risk reduction and flood mitigation planning so as to establish the means for the community to protect itself in future disasters. While funding has been pledged to cover immediate relief supplies, there is a more urgent need to provide support to local communities, especially in emergency rehabilitation of homes, risk reduction and mitigation.
For further information specifically related to this operation please contact:
- Red Cross Society of China: Mr. Wang Xiaohua, director of external relations department; email: email@example.com; phone: +86.10.6404.8366, fax +86.10.6402.9928.
- East Asia Regional Representation Office in China: Mr. Carl Naucler, (head of regional representation), email; firstname.lastname@example.org; Mr. Qinghui Gu (regional disaster management coordinator), email; email@example.com; phone +86 1391 0959 834, fax+86-10-6532-7166.
- Asia Pacific Zone in Kuala Lumpur: Ms Amy Gaver, phone: + 60 3 2161 0892, fax: +60 3 2161 1210, mobile +60 12 220 1174, email: firstname.lastname@example.org