Appeal No. 05E A017; Operations Update no. 3; Period covered: 4 October -- 17 November 2005; Appeal coverage: 36.6%
- Launched on 11 August 2005 for CHF 5,501,604 (USD 4,274,751 or EUR 2,525,539) for 9 months to assist 400,000 beneficiaries.
- Information bulletin 1 to 7 issued.
- Disaster Relief Emergency Funds (DREF) allocated: CHF 200,000
Outstanding needs : CHF 2,013,587 (USD 1,529,500 or EUR 1,300,935)
Related Emergency or Annual Appeals: China Annual Appeal 05AA058, East Asia Regional Appeal 05AA061
Over the past few years, China has experienced increasingly long flood seasons, where the traditional May to August flood season has now extended into the autumn months . In 2005, following heavy floods that commenced in May, villagers who had only recently replanted crops destroyed by floods were caught off guard by typhoon Talim, which roared through Anhui and Jiangxi provinces over 3-4 September . Even more unusual have been the floods that occurred 8-9 November in Jiangxi's Jiujiang city, which affected 260,000 people in 13 counties , submerged rice and cotton crops and left more farmers questioning how they will provide their families with food in the coming months.
Over the past month, the Red Cross Society of China (RCSC) county-level branches distributed 1,500 MT of rice to some 100,000 people living in small and remote villages in Anhui, Guangxi, Hunan, Jiangxi and Sichuan. The RCSC and the Federation are currently in the process of procuring quilts for distribution throughout the affected areas covered by this appeal.
The wide-reaching network of RCSC county branches is play ing a critical role in facilitating the delivery of relief items to residents of small and hard to reach villages. County-level and prefecture branch representatives liaise closely with villages about distribution dates and beneficiary selection criteria. They also make all arrangements for the final distribution of rice to the thousands beneficiaries.
For further information specifically related to this operation please contact:
- In China: Mr. Wang Xiaohua, director of external relations department, Red Cross Society of China, Beijing; email: firstname.lastname@example.org; phone: +86.10.6404.8366, fax +86.10.6402.9928.
- In China: Mr. Alistair Henley, head of East Asia regional delegation, Beijing, email: email@example.com ; phone:+86.10.65327162, fax: +86.10.65327166.
- In Geneva: Asia and Pacific department, Ms. Ewa Eriksson, East Asia regional officer, email: firstname.lastname@example.org; phone: +41227304252; fax: +41.22. 7330395
All International Federation assistance seeks to adhere to the Code of Conduct and is committed to the Humanitarian Charter and Minimum Standards in Disaster Response in delivering assistance to the most vulnerable. For support to or for further information concerning Federation programmes or operations in this or other countries, or for a full description of the national society profile, please access the Federation's website at http://www.ifrc.org
(pdf* format - 558 KB)