China - Earthquake
OCHA Situation Report No. 1
30 November 1998
1. On 19 November, two earthquakes hit a rural area on the border of Yunnan and Sichuan Provinces in southwest China. According to the Ministry of Civil Affairs (MCA), Ninglang Li Autonomous County, where the earthquakes hit, and Huaping, Yongsheng and Lijiang counties of the Yunnan Province were affected by the quakes. Some 312,300 people were affected, 1,543 people injured and 3 killed. More than 12,000 housing units collapsed and 16,000 were damaged. Temperatures in this mountainous area are below 0 degree Celsius. About 877 km of roads, 47 bridges and 36 reservoirs were damaged. 5 communication lines were cut off and 1,560 electric posts collapsed. 456 schools were damaged. The direct economic loss is estimated at 578 million RMB yuan (USD 70 million).
2. The Yunnan provincial government allocated 20 million RMB yuan (USD 2.4 million) for disaster relief and provided food, clothes, shelter and medicine for the victims. By 20 November, the provincial government collected 2,000 cotton quilts, 2,000 blankets, 5,000 shelter materials and some medicines. MCA allocated 10 million RMB yuan (USD 1.2 million). The Department of Civil Affairs acquired 1,000 tents, 460 blankets, 1,200 cotton quilts and 1,000 sweaters.
3. The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) reported that access to the region was difficult since many roads had been destroyed. The main priority needs were for quilts and warm clothing to combat freezing temperatures. Tents and medicines were also needed. The Federation released CHF 50,000 (USD 37,313) from its Disaster Response Emergency Fund to assist the Red Cross Society of China with the procurement of relief items.
4. OCHA is monitoring the situation in close consultation with the United Nations Resident Coordinator in Beijing.
5. This situation report and further information on ongoing emergencies are also available on the OCHA Internet Website at http://www.reliefweb.int
Telephone number: +41-22-917 12 34
Desk Officers: Mrs. S. Metzner-Strack/Ms. M. Kondo, OCHA Disaster Response Branch, direct
Tel. +41-22-917 21 44 / 917 19 97
Press to contact: Ms. E. Ponomareva,
direct Tel. +41-22-917 23 36
Telex: 414242 OCHA CH
Fax: +41-22-917 00 23
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.