Chad + 4 more

UNICEF Chad Humanitarian Situation Report 2021: 1 January to 31 December 2021

Attachments

Highlights

  • In 2021, Chad was affected by exceptionally heavy flooding and by epidemics. 555,787 refugees reside in Chad and some 406,573 Chadians are internally displaced, a 21 percent increase as compared to 2020 .

  • 958,829 children aged 6-59 months in humanitarian situations have been vaccinated against measles in the provinces of Ennedi Est, Ouaddai, Sila, Wadi Fira, Lac, Batha, Logone Occidental, Logone Oriental, Mandoul, Mayo Kebbi Est, Moyen Chari and Tandjilé.

  • A total of 249,513 children under five years of age were admitted for malnutrition and treated, with a cure rate of 93.0 per cent.

  • 23,700 children (12,143 girls, 11,557 boys) and 200 caregivers (64 fathers and 136 mothers) benefited from psychosocial support in child-friendly spaces in the provinces of Lac, Ouaddai, and Chari Baguirmi.

  • 245,940 Children (115,251 girls and 130,689 boys) in humanitarian situations received individual learning materials

Situation in Numbers

2,700,000 children in need of humanitarian assistance
(OCHA HNO 2021)

5,500,000 people in need
(OCHA HNO 2021)

401,090 under-5 children with SAM
(OCHA HNO 2021)

1,073,980 displaced people
(UNHCR 2021)

406,573 internally displaced people
(UNHCR 2021)

Humanitarian Action for Children: Funding Overview and Partnerships

In 2021, UNICEF requested US$ 50.1 million to meet the emergency needs of nearly 900,000 vulnerable children in Chad. A total of US$ 33 million, representing 66 per cent of the appeal (USD 50.1 million), was made available in 2021, leaving an unfunded gap of US$ 17 million (34 per cent of the appeal). A total of US$ 23.5 million was received in 2021 from the European Commission Humanitarian Aid Office (ECHO), Japan, Canada, Sweden, Norway, Germany, the United Kingdom, the United States of America, and the Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF). Carryover funds from the previous year provided an additional US$ 9.7 million from the European Commission/ECHO, the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Japan, the World Bank, CERF and global thematic humanitarian funds.

In line with the inter-agency Humanitarian Response Plan (HRP) 2021, the valuable funding received from our partners enabled UNICEF in Chad to provide a multi-sectoral response to vulnerable populations affected by multiple crises, such as the nutrition and internal displacement crises, particularly of women and children, and to support sustainable prevention and control of outbreaks, including in the context of COVID-19.

UNICEF continues to adapt and respond to critical humanitarian needs as they evolve as well as advocate for flexible thematic and multi-year funding to reach the most vulnerable children and families with life-saving support. UNICEF is grateful to all partners for their continued support and collaboration and appeals for further assistance to vulnerable children in Chad.