Chad + 4 more

UNICEF Chad Country Office - 2022 Humanitarian Situation Report No. 2 (Reporting Period: 1 January to 30 June 2022)

Attachments

Highlights

• During the reporting period, 121,373 malnourished children under five years of age (66,755 girls and 54,618 boys) were admitted and treated countrywide, with a cure rate of 92.8 per cent.

• As of June 2022, 103,382 children (47,785 girls and 55,597 boys) received individual learning materials in N'Djamena (Kalambari and Guilmey camps), Ouaddai (Farchana, Gaga, Bredjing and Treguine),
Batha, Salamat and Lac (Mamdi, Kaya and Fouli).

• 25,612 children and caregivers (12,432 girls and 13,180 boys) benefited from psychosocial support in child-friendly spaces in Borkou, Ouaddai, Lac and Chari Baguirmi provinces.

• 3,667 households in the Cameroonian refugee camps of Guilmey and Kalambari were reached with humanitarian cash transfers in N’Djamena.

Funding Overview and Partnerships

UNICEF is requesting US$ 62.4 million to meet the emergency needs of nearly 800,000 vulnerable children in Chad for 2022. In line with the inter-agency Humanitarian Response Plan, this funding will enable UNICEF to support a multisectoral response to the multiple crises facing Chad, such as the nutrition crisis, displaced persons and host communities particularly women and children who have been most affected, and to support sustainable prevention and control of outbreaks. Since the beginning of the year, UNICEF Chad has received US$ 18.7 million (30 per cent of the needs) from the Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF), the European Commission Humanitarian Aid Office (ECHO), UNOCHA, the United States of America, Japan and Sweden. Carried over funds from the previous year are providing an additional US$ 9.9 million from the United States of America, the United Kingdom, global thematic humanitarian funds, Norway, Canada, ECHO, Switzerland, GAVI, UNOCHA and Japan.

Therefore US$ 28.6 million representing 45.8 per cent of the appeal (US$ 62.4 million) are available as of June 2022, leaving a gap of US$ 33.8 million (54.2 per cent of the appeal). UNICEF will continue to adapt and respond to critical humanitarian needs as they evolve and will advocate for flexible thematic and multi-year funding to reach the most vulnerable children and families with life-saving support. UNICEF is grateful to all its partners for their continued support and collaboration and appeals for further assistance to the most vulnerable children in Chad affected by humanitarian situations.