Chad + 4 more

UNICEF Chad Country Office 2022 Humanitarian Situation Report No. 1 (Reporting Period: 1 January to 31 March 2022)

Attachments

Highlights

  • During the reporting period, 38,886 malnourished children under five years of age (21,388 girls and 17,498 boys) were admitted and treated countrywide, with a cure rate of 91.3 per cent.

  • 16,103 children (8,150 girls, 7,953 boys) benefited from psychosocial support in child-friendly spaces in Borkou, Ouaddai, Lac and Chari Baguirmi Provinces.

  • In the first quarter of 2022, 13,788 children (6,322 girls and 7,466 boys) had access to education in Lac and Logone Oriental Provinces.

  • 11,500 people (5,980 women/girls and 5,520 men/boys) had access to a sufficient quantity of safe water for drinking, cooking and personal hygiene in the Lac Province.

Situation in Numbers

3.0 Million children in need of humanitarian assistance (OCHA, HRP 2022)

6.1 Million people in need (OCHA, HRP 2022)

406,573 Internally displaced people (IDPs) (UNHCR)

570,369 Refugees (UNHCR)

Funding Overview and Partnerships

UNICEF is requesting US$ 62.4 million to meet the emergency needs of nearly 800,000 vulnerable children in Chad in 2022. In line with the inter-agency Humanitarian Response Plan, this funding will enable UNICEF to support a multisectoral response to the multiple crises facing Chad, such as the nutrition crisis, displaced persons particularly children and communities who have been most affected (including Cameroonian refugees), and to support sustainable prevention and control of outbreaks.
Since the beginning of the year, UNICEF Chad has received US$ 10.8 million (17 per cent of the needs) from UNOCHA, the United States of America, Japan and Sweden. Carried over funds from the previous year are providing an additional US$ 9.9 million from the United States of America, the United Kingdom, global thematic humanitarian funds, Norway, Canada, the European Commission Humanitarian Aid Office (ECHO), Switzerland, GAVI, UNOCHA and Japan.
Therefore US$ 20.7 million representing 33 per cent of the appeal (US$ 62.4 million) were made available in 2022, leaving a gap of US$ 41.7 million (67 per cent of the appeal).
UNICEF will continue to adapt and respond to critical humanitarian needs as they evolve and will advocate for flexible thematic and multi-year funding to reach the most vulnerable children and families with life-saving support. UNICEF is grateful to all partners for their continued support and collaboration and appeals for further assistance to the most vulnerable children in Chad affected by humanitarian situations.