Multilateral peace operations: Africa, 2008
- Close to 79 000 personnel were deployed in 19 operations in Africa in 2008.
- Personnel numbers in Africa in 2008 had increased by 14 % over the 2007 level and 400 % over the 1999 level.
- Almost a third of all operations worldwide and 42 % of all personnel were located in Africa in 2008.
- Operations were active in 13 African countries in 2008.
- The UN sent 70% of all peace operation personnel it deployed worldwide in 2008 to Africa.
- Personnel deployments in Africa were 21 % short of the authorized levels in 2008.
- Five of the nine operations deploying over 5000 personnel in 2008 were in Africa.
- Eight of the 13 operations in 2008 with Chapter VII powers were in Africa.
- Three operations were launched in 2008: the EU Military Operation in Chad and the CAR (EUFOR Tchad/RCA), the EU Advisory Mission for SSR (EU SSR) in Guinea-Bissau, and the UN Integrated Peacebuilding Office in Sierra Leone (UNIPSIL).
- Three operations terminated in 2008: the AU Electoral and Security Assistance Mission in the Comoros (MAES), the UN Mission in Ethiopia and Eritrea (UNMEE), and the UN Integrated Office in Sierra Leone (UNIOSIL).
Troops: 65 610
Military observers: 2232
Civilian police: 7037
Civilian staff : 4196