OCHA Situation Report No. 2
Tropical Storm Dennis - The Caribbean
7 July 2005
This message is not an official hurricane warning or alert for any country.
1. The National Weather Center in Miami reports that at 09.00 am GMT today, Dennis has become a category II hurricane moving in the Central Caribbean Sea toward the Northeast at 10 MPH/16 Km/PH. Its current position is near 17.5 North, 74.9 West or about 130 miles/205 Km east-southeast of Kingston, Jamaica, and about 165 miles/265 Km south of Guantánamo, Cuba.
2. Maximum sustained winds are at 105 MPH/169 Km/PH, with higher gusts. Additional strengthening is forecast during the next 24 hours.
3. A hurricane warning is in effect for the southwestern peninsula of Haiti, from the Dominican Republic westward, all Jamaica, all Cayman Islands and portions of Eastern Cuba for the provinces of Granma, Santiago de Cuba and Guantánamo. A hurricane watch remains in effect for portions of Central and Eastern Cuba for the provinces of Sancti Spiritus, Ciego de Avila, Camaguey, Las Tunas and Holguin.
4. Dennis is expected to produce total rainfall accumulations of 5 to 10 inches over Southern Hispaniola, Jamaica, Eastern Cuba and the Cayman Islands. Isolated maximum amounts of 15 to 20 inches are possible over mountainous terrain in Jamaica. These rains could produce life-threatening flash floods and mud slides.
5. OCHA remains in close contact with the UNRC Offices in Cuba, Jamaica and Haiti. The UNDAC team has been alerted and will be ready for immediate deployment if so required.
6. For tracking and further information, please refer to the Website of the National Hurricane Service in Miami at www.nhc.noaa.gov, and www.solar.ifa.hawaii.edu/Tropical/Gif/atl.latest.gif.
7. This situation report, together with further information on ongoing emergencies, is also available on the OCHA Internet Website at http://www.reliefweb.int
Telephone: +41-22-917 12 34
Fax: +41-22-917 00 23
In case of emergency only: Tel. +41-22-917 20 10
Mr. Dusan Zupka, Mr. Ricardo Mena, Ms.Charlotta
E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com,
direct Tel. +41-22-917 16 45, 917 14 55, 917 1205
(in GVA) Ms. Elizabeth Byrs, direct Tel.
+41-22-917 26 53
(in N.Y.) Ms. Stephanie Bunker, direct Tel. +1-917-367 51 26
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.