OCHA Situation Report No. 1
Tropical Storm Dennis - The Caribbean
6 July 2005
This message is not an official hurricane warning or alert for any country.
1. The National Weather Center in Miami reports that at 05.00 AM GMT today, the Tropical Storm Dennis continues to strengthen in the Central Caribbean Sea. Maximum sustained winds had increased to near 65 MPH/100 KM/H, with higher gusts. Dennis could become a hurricane later today. It is expected to produce rain accumulations over much of Hispaniola. These rains could cause serious flash floods and mud slides.
2. At 05.00 AM GMT, according to the center for tropical storms Dennis was located near latitude 15.1 NORTH, longitude 70.3 WEST or about 445 KM SOUTH-SOUTHEAST OF PORT AU PRINCE HAITI and about 765 KM EAST-SOUTHEAST OF KINGSTON JAMAICA. Dennis is moving towards the WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 26 KM/H, and this motion is expected to continue today. On this track Dennis will be near Jamaica early Thursday, 7 July.
3. As of today, the following warnings/watches were in effect:
4. The Government of Jamaica has issued a hurricane warning for Jamaica and the Governments of Haiti and Dominican Republic has issued similar warning for the southwestern peninsula of Haiti and the southern part of Dominican Republic.
5. A hurricane watch remains in effect for the Cayman Islands and for Eastern Cuba.
6. OCHA has been in communication with the UNRC Offices in Cuba, Jamaica and Haiti.
7. For tracking and further information, please refer to the Website of the National Hurricane Service in Miami at www.nhc.noaa.gov, and www.solar.ifa.hawaii.edu/Tropical/Gif/atl.latest.gif.
8. This situation report, together with further information on ongoing emergencies, is also available on the OCHA Internet Website at http://www.reliefweb.int
Telephone: +41-22-917 12 34
Fax: +41-22-917 00 23
In case of emergency only: Tel. +41-22-917 20 10
Mr. Dusan Zupka, Mr. Ricardo Mena, Ms.Charlotta
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org,
direct Tel. +41-22-917 16 45, 917 14 55, 917 1205
(in GVA) Ms. Elizabeth Byrs, direct Tel.
+41-22-917 26 53
(in N.Y.) Ms. Stephanie Bunker, direct Tel. +1-917-367 51 26
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.