Cambodia Food Security and Nutrition Quarterly Bulletin, Issue #9 | October - December 2012
• Heavy rainfall in September and October caused flash floods in 8 provinces, resulting in 27 deaths and 4,057 displaced households.
• From October to December 2012, the average rainfall level was lower than the historical average and the same period in 2011.
• Wet season rice production in 2012 was 6.85% higher than in 2011; Cultivated area of dry season rice in this quarter was above 100% of the planned figure; On a year-on-year basis, production of maize during the wet season increased by 19%, cassava decreased by 10% and mung bean decreased by 13%.
• Wholesale rice prices decreased by 4.6% month-on-month in December. The price is expected to decrease in January due to the increase in the supply of rice from the main wet season harvest.
• Children born to mothers in the highest equity groups are slightly less likely to ever breastfeed than children born to mothers in the lowest equity groups. Early initiation of breastfeeding within the first hour of birth and exclusive breastfeeding from birth to 6 months of age improved dramatically between 2000 and 2005.