• The zone of Cha das Caldeiras has been evacuated since the eruption of Pico Fogo Volcano on 23 November.
• As of 7 December, access has been restricted by Civil Protection authorities due to increased volcanic activity.
• Approximately 1000 persons have been displaced and are currently housed in temporary accomodation centres, shelter units built after the 1995 eruption, and with host families.
• According to reports from Civil Protection, the lava flow destroyed an additional 30 houses in Portela and Bangueira during the evening of 6 December, bringing the total to more than 80 buildings, approximately 50% of the community of Portela including the school, hotel and park headquarters.
• Volcanic activity continues, although no immediate threat to human health reported.
• Humanitarian assistance is ongoing. Displacement will continue as conditions in Cha das Caldeiras are not safe for return.
• The President of the Republic concluded his visit on Fogo on 6 December and returned to Praia via airplane.
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.