JOINT DECLARATION OF AGREEMENT REACHED BETWEEN PRESIDENT BUYOYA, REPRESENTING THE TRANSITIONAL GOVERNMENT OF BURUNDI AND PIERRE NKURUNZIZA, THE LEGAL REPRESENTATIVE OF THE CNDD - FDD IN PRETORIA ON 27 JANUARY 2003.
(Bujumbura, le 28 janvier). - The two parties met in Pretoria South Africa from 26-27 January 2003, to discuss the implementation of the cease fire Agreement they signed in Arusha, Tanzania on 2 December 2002. The parties discussed all pertinent issues crucial to the implementation of the Cease fire Agreement.
The two parties also recommended themselves to a permanent cessation of hostilities in Burundi to ensure an end to all forms of violence between the two parties.
Both parties acknowledged the urgency with which the implementation of the Cease-fire Agreement would have to be undertaken.
The parties therefore agreed to the following:
1. The urgent establishment of the joint Cease-fire Commission (JCC)
2. Undertook to provide the already available names of people who will serve on the commission, to the Facilitator
3. The provision by the parties of information that will facilitate the conclusion of the Forces Technical Agreement, including the names of the people who will work on this process
4. The immediate deployment of the African Union Military Observer Mission
5. Urged the Facilitator to expedite the processes that will lead to the rapid deployment of the African Mission in Burundi
6. That the technical commissions will meet in Dar Es Salaam from 30 January and report back to the principals by 8 February 2003
7. That the two food supply points to the combatants of the CNDD-FDD will be in Bubanza and Ruyigi Provinces.
Signed in Pretoria on 27 January 2003
President Pierre Buyoya
Government of Burundi.
Mr. Pierre Nkurunziza
Representing the Transitional The Legal Representative of the CNDD-FDD