1. Following a request of the Government of Brazil for assistance to combat the forest fires that are presently devastating areas in the state of Roraima in Brazil, the Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs is dispatching an UNDAC team to assist in the joint assessment of the emergency situation and international relief requirements stemming from it.
2. The team, consisting of five disaster management specialists (from OCHA-Geneva, Guatemala, Peru and Venezuela) and two UNEP experts (from UNEP-Mexico and UNEP-Nairobi) is scheduled to arrive at Brasilia during this coming weekend. It will work under the authority of the UNDP Resident Coordinator and in close cooperation with the Special Secretary for Regional Policy designated by the President of the Republic of Brazil to be the focal point for coordinating and implementing international assistance inside the country.
3. Information received from the UNDAC team will be incorporated in OCHA situation reports to follow.
4. This situation report and further information on ongoing emergencies are also available on the OCHA Internet Website at: http://www.reliefweb.int
Telephone number: + 41-22-917-1234
In case of emergency only: + 41 22 917 2010
Interim Desk Officer: Mr. Dmitri Balabanov, OCHA Disaster Response Branch, direct tel. +41/22/9172827
Telex 41 42 42 ocha ch
Fax: + 41 22 917 0023
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.