OCHA Situation Report No. 4
Botswana - Floods
02 March 2000
1. In light of the impact of cyclone Eline, the National Disaster Management Office is carrying out damage assessments in the most severely affected districts, through the District Disaster Preparedness Committees. Repercussions on the public health sector are receiving particular attention.
2. Total number of affected population stands at 73,000. Over 12,000 houses have been damaged, a 100 percent increase over the previous assessment. Reports from the affected districts indicate that more houses will collapse in the northern and southern regions due to continuing rainfall.
3. The Government is in the process of updating its appeal of 10 February on the basis of assessments mentioned above. OCHA is in contact with the office of the UN Resident Coordinator and will communicate details, once available.
National and international response
4. Representatives from UNDP, UNICEF, UNHCR, UNFPA and WHO are members of the National Disaster Technical Committee. The Committee meets daily to review the reports from affected areas. Coordination meetings by the local donor community take place every Tuesday in the UNDP premises. An OCHA- team, currently on mission to flood affected countries neighbouring Mozambique, will be in Botswana early next week for discussion on the situation and priority requirements.
5. OCHA is prepared to serve as a channel for cash contributions for the immediate relief needs. Funds channelled through OCHA will be spent in co-ordination with the relevant organizations of the UN system and OCHA will provide written confirmation of their use. Funds should be transferred to OCHA Account No. CO-590.160.1 SWIFT-code SBC0CHGG12A - at the UBS AG, PO Box 2770, CH-1211 Geneva 2, Switzerland, with reference: OCHA - Botswana - Floods 2000.
6. For co-ordination purposes, donors are requested to inform OCHA Geneva, as indicated below, of relief missions, pledges or contributions and their corresponding value by item.
7. This Situation Report and further information on ongoing emergencies are also available on the OCHA Internet Website at: http://www.reliefweb.int.
Telephone number: + 41-22-917-1234
In case of emergency only: + 41 22 917 2010
Desk Officers: Mr. Klaus Wiersing/ Ms.
Disaster Response Branch, direct Tel: + 41 22 917 2770/1768
Contact person for the media: Mr. Donato Kiniger-Passigli, direct tel: +41-22-917-2653
Telex 41 42 42 ocha ch
Fax: + 41 22 917 0023
- UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs
- To learn more about OCHA's activities, please visit https://www.unocha.org/.