SOS Children Villages’ Bosnia and Herzegovina emergency response in flooded areas
SOS Children's Villages Bosnia and Herzegovina (SOS CV BiH) provided immediate response to families and children affected by floods and landslide, with the focus on three areas: Sarajevo/Vogošća, Gračanica, Maglaj and Doboj. Both SOS Children's Villages, in Sarajevo and Gračanica, opened the children’s village houses for displaced families.
SOS CV’s BiH started activities in organizing Safe Place for Children (SPfC) programmes in Vogošća/Sarajevo, Gračanica and Maglaj, providing edutainment activities and psychosocial support for children and parents in these areas.
• Within the scope of this initiative, in Vogošća/Sarajevo SOS CV’s provided accommodation and support for three families from Vogošća, and organized edutainment activities and psychosocial support for 40 children from Svraka local community, who are accommodated in Vogošća; established cooperation with Center for Social Work and municipal authorities/Vogošća’s major.
• SOS CV BiH in Gračanica provided the accommodation for families that are displaced from their homes due to floods and landslides, and currently one family (single mother with a child) from Orašje is accomodated in our Children's Village. In consultation with the Center for Social Work and municipal authorities in Gračanica, SOS CV BiH planned and organized activities for families and children affected by floods and landslides.
• In Maglaj, SOS CV BiH established cooperation with public kindergarten, aiming to develop Safe Place for Children in that area, and provide edutainment and psychosocial support services for families, children and youth in a safe, optimistic and stimulating environment. In addition, SPfC efforts will be further coordinated with UNICEF, World Vision and Save the Children and the other participants of ICCM in order to coordinate and standardize effort to extent possible.
• Distribution of humanitarian aid (focusing on child needs) planed in Doboj this week.
BUDGET: 42,125 Euro (to date)
• SOS CVs BiH allocated emergency budget of 20,000 USD (28,700 KM/ 14,673 Euro)
• In addition all employees of SOS CVs BiH donated a part of their salaries and collected 7.000 Euros.
• On Friday, May 23, national team football player Zvezdan Misimović, became a new SOS ambassador, who on behalf of his family donated 40.000KM (20,452 Euro) for SOS CVs BiH’s interventions including direct distribution and SPfC’s development.
WHEN: May 21-26, 2014
WHERE: Vogošća/Sarajevo (Svrake), Gračanica and Maglaj
CATEGORY: Humanitarian aid, WASH, Early recovery, psychosocial support